Oil cakes have a long tradition especially in Mediterranean countries where olive oil is abundant. In Austria sunflower or rape oil is used instead and candied bitter orange peel, aranzini, and pine kernels are also added.
- Soak the saffron in gently-heated rum.
- Preheat oven to 170 °C and grease Gugelhupf mould with melted butter. Dust with flour.
- Beat the eggs and whip up with water to make a generous foam. Pour in the oil and, after beating briefly, add the sugar. Continue to beat to a cream until the mixture has again clearly grown in volume.
- Add the flour to the baking powder, pine kernels and candied orange peel and mix. Add the softened saffron. Pour into the mould and bake for around 55 – 65 minutes. Allow to cool and tip out. Sprinkle with icing sugar or glaze.
- Glaze: Mix icing sugar with lemon juice and stir in sufficient water to form a velvety glazing mix. Cover the Gugelhupf with the glaze and leave to harden.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office